McGlothlin-Street Hall 107
Department of Computer Science
College of William and Mary
Williamsburg, VA 23185
Lei is a fifth year PhD student in Computer Science department, The College of William and Mary. His advisor is Professor Evgenia Smirni. He got his B.Sc. and M.E. degrees from the Nanjing University. He spent the first 18 years of life in the city of Tianjin, China, attending Tianjin Nankai High School.
- Lei Lu, Xiaoyun Zhu, Rean Griffith, Pradeep Padala, Aashish Parikh, Parth Shah and Evgenia Smirni "Application-Driven Dynamic Vertical Scaling of Virtual Machines in Resource Pools" in IEEE/IFIP NOMS 2014 (9 pages). Acceptance Rate: 29%
- Lei Lu, Evgenia Smirni "Effective Resource and Workload Management in Data Centers" in IEEE/IFIP NOMS 2014 (7 pages). Disseratation Session.
- Lei Lu, Hui Zhang, Evgenia Smirni, Guofei Jiang and Kenji Yoshihira "Predictive VM Consolidation on Multiple Resources: Beyond Load Balancing" IEEE/ACM IWQoS 2013 (10 pages). Acceptance Rate: 28%
- Robert Thompson, Gang Zhou, Lei Lu, Sudha Krishnamurthy, Hover Dong, Xin Qi, Yantao Li, Matthew Keally, Zhen Ren, A Self-Adaptive Spectrum Management Middleware for Wireless Sensor Networks, Springer Wireless Personal Communications, 2011
- Andrew Caniff, Lei Lu, Ningfang Mi, Ludmila Cherkasova and Evgenia Smirni, Fastrack for Taming Burstiness and Saving Power in Multi-Tiered Systems, in the 22nd International Teletraffic Congress (ITC 22) , Amsterdam, the Netherlands, September 2010 (8 pages). Acceptance Rate: 30%. Best Student Paper Award
- Lei Lu, Ludmila Cherkasova, Vittoria de Nitto Persone, Ningfang Mi and Evgenia Smirni, AWAIT: Efficient Overload Management for Multi-tier Web Services under Bursty Workload , in 2010 10th International Conference on Web Engineering (ICWE 2010), Vienna, Austria, July 2010 (15 pages). Acceptance Rate: 20%
- Gang Zhou, Lei Lu, Sudha Krishnamurthy, Matthew Keally, Zhen Ren, SAS: Self-Adaptive Spectrum Management for Wireless Sensor Networks, in the International Conference on Computer Communications and Networks (ICCCN'09), pp. 1-6, San Francisco, CA, 2009 (6 pages). Acceptance Rate: 29%
- "Untangling Mixed Information to Calibrate Resource Utilization in Virtual Machines" ICAC'11, Karlsruhe, Germany, June 2011.
- Fastrack for Taming Burstiness and Saving Power in Multi-Tiered Systems" ITC 22, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, September 2010.
- MTS Intern, Distributed Resource Management Team April ~ Aug. 2012
- Intern Researcher, Automic Management Team, May ~ Oct. 2010
VMware Inc., Palo Alto, CA, USA
Mentor: Xiaoyun Zhu
NEC Labs America, Princeton, NJ, USA
Mentor: Hui ZhangDesign and develop a directed factor gragh (DFG) to model the multivariate dependence relationships among different resources (CPU, Network, Disk, Memory) across the virtual and physical machine layers. In the case study of Xen-virtualization platform, the model system is done through different consolidation scenarios with diverse applications.
This internship ends up with one publication (ICAC'11) and one US patent (US Patent Application # 20120185851)
- Good experience of Linux kernel and system programming
- Programming languages: C/C++, Java, AT&T syntax Assembly, Sed, AWK, Python and Linux shell scripts
- Tools: Matlab, Latex and Gnuplot
- Environment: Linux, MacOS and Windows
- Virtualization ENV: Xen, VMware
- 2010 ITC'22 Best Student Paper Award.
- 2010 William & Mary Award for Excellence in the Natural & Computational Sciences
- USENIX ATC 2014
- ACM SIGMETRICS 2012, 2013
- ACM ICAC 2013
- IEEE TOC
- IEEE DSN 2013
- IEEE/ACM CCGrid 2013
- QEST' 11